Guide for Outpatients
To new patients — Please bring referral letter (patient referral document).
We actively cooperate with local medical institutions to provide a better medical service.
We ask new patients to bring referral letters with them.
Please make an appointment in advance.
If the local medical institute (referee) contacts the Regional Medical Liaison Center in our hospital, an appointment for consultation or examination will be arranged.
First Visit Fee
If you do not have a referral letter, you need to pay 5,400 yen (tax inclusive), as the First Visit Fee determined by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare in Japan, which is a fee paid on top of the ordinary medical consultation fee. Also, new patients with referrals are prioritized, so new patients without referrals will have to wait for a consultation. We appreciate your understanding.
Please note that you may not be able to have a consultation in some departments which have an appointment system.
Opening Days by Department
All departments are closed on New Year’s holiday (29 December–January 3)
A circle (〇) indicates that the department is open for outpatients on that day.
|Kidney Disease and
|By appointment only||p.m. by appointment only||p.m. by appointment only|
|Dermatology||By appointment only||By appointment only||By appointment only||○||○|
|Thoracic Surgery||○||○||Emergency only||Emergency only||○|
|Breast Surgery||○||○||○||○||Emergency only|
|Palliative Care||p.m. only|
|Pediatric Surgery||p.m. only||Emergency only||p.m. only||a.m. only||Emergency only|
|Emergency only||○||Emergency only||○||Emergency only|
|Ophthalmology||○||Emergency only||○||Emergency only||○|
Head and Neck Surgery
|○||Emergency only||○||Emergency only||○|
|Plastic Surgery||○||Emergency only||○||Emergency only||○|
|Dental Care for Persons
|Outpatient Department for Persons
Note: Due to appointment system and/or operation days, you might not be able to have a consultation, even if you come to the hospital. Please check carefully before you come to the hospital.
Appointment system: appointments are required for new patients
Emergency only: patients requiring emergency medical care only, as it is an operation day.
Outpatients Opening Hours
Hours / Counter
|Out of hours / Closing days|
Hours / Counter
|Reception (new patients without appointments)||8:30–11:00||Emergency only
Out of hours on weekdays
17:00–9:00 on the following day at the Reception at the Emergency and Critical Care Center
9:00–9:00 on the following day at the Reception at the Emergency and Critical Care Center
|Reception (patients with appointments)||8:20–17:30|
|Issuance of certificates||8:30–17:15|
|Central blood testing room||Reception
Note: If you visit the Dental Care for Persons with Disabilities or the Outpatient Department for Persons with Disabilities, please come to the reception on the first floor at the Medical Care and Rehabilitation Center for Persons with Disabilities.
Note: If you visit the Outpatient Pediatrics, Pediatric Surgery or Obstetrics / Gynecology, please come to the receptions on the first floor at the Osaka Prefectural and Municipal Sumiyoshi Medical Center for Maternal and Child Health.
Note: A detailed medical invoice can be issued in addition to the invoice and receipt, if you wish. If you wish to have a detailed medical invoice, please ask the Medical Affairs Division. The Medical Affairs Division is located behind the inpatient reception counter on the first floor of the main building.
Before Medical Consultations
Medical consultation day
- In some departments, due to appointment system and/or operation days, you might not be able to have a consultation, even if you come to the hospital. Please make sure to check the Opening Days by Department in advance.
- Please bring your health insurance card, medical care certificates, original ID (residence card or passport / a copy is not accepted) and referral letter.
Note: If documents include medical information from overseas, please bring documents which are translated into Japanese in advance.
- Please complete the procedures to have medical consultation between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- If you do not know which department to go to, please ask at the general information counter.
- After the procedures before your medical consultation, please come to the outpatient reception counter of the department at which you are going to have a medical consultation with your patient registration card and medical questionnaire.
- Please keep your patient registration card in a safe place, as it can be used for all the departments in Osaka General Medical Center in the future.
After the Procedures before Your Medical Consultation
- Medical consultations start from 9:00 a.m.
- Receive your medical questionnaire at the outpatient reception counter of the department.
- After completing the medical questionnaire, submit it to the outpatient reception counter of the department, and please wait in the waiting room until your reception number is called. Please note that the order may change, depending on the situation such as emergency consultations.
- Patients visiting the following departments may need to collect their urine: General Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Obstetrics / Gynecology, Pediatrics, Urology, and Kidney Disease and Hypertension.
After Medical Consultation
- After your medical consultation, please check your next appointment. If you make an appointment, please make sure you receive your appointment slip.
- You will receive a clear red folder (documents such as reservation confirmation slip, out-of-hospital prescription, etc.) at the outpatient reception counter of the department. Please take them to the accounting counter.
- After your medical consultation, please hand in the clear red folder given at the outpatient reception of the department, at the accounting counter. You will be given an accounting queue number. Please wait until your number is displayed on the accounting queue number display board.
- When your number is displayed, please make a payment for your medical consultation fee at an automatic payment machine.
- Even if you do not owe any medical consultation fees, please hand in the clear red folder to the accounting counter.
- You can make a payment by cash or credit card. At automatic payment machines, debit cards are also accepted. UnionPay cards are accepted only at the accounting counter in the main building, Emergency and Critical Care Center, and Medical Care and Rehabilitation Center for Persons with Disabilities. Please note that UnionPay cards cannot be used at the automatic payment machines and the accounting counter at the Osaka Prefectural and Municipal Sumiyoshi Medical Center for Maternal and Child Health.
- AMERICAN EXPRESS
Out-of-hospital prescriptions are provided with some exceptions. You can receive medicines at any pharmacies which you prefer by bringing your out-of-hospital prescription to the pharmacy. For details, please ask the out-of-hospital prescription consultation counter or pharmacy on the first floor in the main building.
Medical Consultations from the Second Time Onwards
Patients with appointments
- Opening hours for the receptions are from 8:20 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Please insert your registration card into the reception machine for returned patients by the time of your appointment, receive a reception slip and wait at the waiting room of the department until your reception number is called.
- Please refrain from changing your appointment as much as possible. If you need to change your appointment, please email us.
Patients without appointments
- Opening hours for the receptions is from 8:20 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Please insert your registration card into the reception machine for returned patients and select the department which you would like to have a medical consultation. A reception slip will come out. Please hand in your registration card and a reception slip to the reception counter in the department.
- If you cannot check-in with the reception machine for returned patients, please come to the counter for new patients.
Confirmation of Health Insurance Card / Notification of Change
- Your documents such as health insurance card need to be checked once a month. Please show them on the first day of appointment of the month at the insurance checking counter.
- If you have changed your name, address, health insurance card, medical ticket, etc., please complete and hand in a form of notification of change to the insurance checking counter promptly.
- Your registration card can be used in other department. If your name, address or health insurance card has changed, please report to the reception for new patients on the first floor in the main building.
- If you did not bring your registration card with you, please ask at the general information counter. If the card is lost or damaged, please ask at the reception for new patients for reissuance.
Local Independent Administrative Agency Osaka Prefectural Hospital Organization
Osaka General Medical Center
Note: Please send inquiries by email in Japanese or English. We cannot deal with inquiries by phone in languages other than Japanese.